Tanya Norton
At my baby shower for Bethany, the guests made me an advice book by each writing her best child-rearing advice.  My mom gave me the best advice of all.  She wrote that I should enjoy every stage of my child's life because each is special and goes by too quickly.  Seventeen years ago, as I was looking at my newborn daughter, I couldn't imagine that it would pass as quickly as Mom said it would.  Making plans to take Bethany to college in a month, I now believe her!

This weekend, I had the privilege of babysitting an almost 2 year old while her mom was delivering her baby brother.  It really seems like just yesterday that my girls were that little.  Although I am dog-tired after only two days, I enjoyed having a toddler around again.  It reminded me why I enjoyed that stage of life so much.  I really love the sense of wonder and amazement at even the simplest things of life that a toddler has.  I was also reminded of my mom's advice.  Even though really enjoyed Reya, I am definitely past the stage of little ones.  I enjoy my teenage daughters immensely!  

Since I wanted 4 children, it took me a long time to accept God's plan of only 2 girls for us.  I can definitely say that I am now completely fine with not having any more babies of my own.  Now is the time for me to enjoy nephews, nieces and my friends' children.  In a few years (at least 5, Bethany), I will be more than ready for grandchildren.  Do I feel old enough to be a grandma?  NO!  Am I ready to enjoy grandchildren?  Absolutely!  Until then, I will enjoy helping my friends out with their little ones and fully enjoy the life stages of my own daughters.  Bring on the teenage and young adult issues.  I can handle them since I survived toddlerhood! 
0 Responses

Post a Comment